Certain Americans have been indispensable to defining America and making it the freest and greatest nation in world history. As the struggle for freedom has progressed, each age has had its giants. Beginning with the American Revolution and the establishment of the Constitution, certain Founding Fathers left an indelible mark on world history. In later ages, suffragists and civil rights leaders worked to a broaden the scope of our liberties to include all Americans – regardless of gender or race. Patriot Week recognizes these indispensable men and women.
The Indispensable Founding Fathers and Patriots
During Patriot Week we celebrate and honor the following:
- September 11: Thomas Paine, Patrick Henry, John Adams
- September 12: John Marshall
- September 13: George Washington
- September 14: Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony
- September 15: Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King Jr.
- September 16: Thomas Jefferson
- September 17: James Madison
Photograph of Mount Rushmore National Memorial by John Bowen (2005)